Andrew (Drew) Busch, PhD, holds a doctorate in clinical psychology from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. He completed his clinical internship and post-doctoral fellowship at The Alpert Medical School of Brown University. He was an Assistant Professor (research) at Brown University and The Miriam Hospital from 2011 to 2017, during which he had a wide variety of research, training, and clinical roles. Dr. Busch is currently a Senior Investigator at HHRI and the HCMC Department of Medicine, Division of Clinical Pharmacology. He is also an Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Minnesota Medical School.
Description of research
Dr. Busch’s research focuses on the intersection of mental health (e.g., depression), health behaviors (e.g., smoking), and physical health (e.g., cardiovascular disease). The primary ongoing project in the lab is a large clinical trial testing a combination of smoking cessation and mood management following hospitalization for a cardiac event. Other projects focus on improving physical activity and other health behaviors among depressed populations. Current research funding is provided by the National Institute of Nursing Research (NINR) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) of the NIH, the Hennepin Healthcare Research Institute (HHRI, formerly the Minneapolis Medical Research Foundation / MMRF), and The Miriam Hospital Foundation.
- Busch, A. M., Tooley, E., Dunsiger, S. I., Fani Srour, J., Pagoto, S. L., Kahler, C. W., & Borrelli, B. Behavioral activation for smoking cessation and mood management following a cardiac event: Results of a pilot randomized controlled trial. BMC Public Health. 17, 323. Doi: 10.1186/s12889-017-4250-7, 2017
- Busch, A. M., Ciccolo, J. T., Puspitasari, A. J., Nosrat, S. Whitworth, J. W., & Stults-Kolehmainen, M. A. Preferences for exercise as a treatment for depression. Mental Health and Physical Activity, 10: 68–72. doi:10.1016/j.mhpa.2015.12.004. PMCID: PMC4955620, 2016
- Busch, A. M., Leavens, E. L., Wagener, T. L., Buckley, M. L., & Tooley, E. M. Prevalence, reasons for use, and risk perception of electronic cigarettes among post-acute coronary syndrome smokers. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention. 36(5): 352-7. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention. Doi: 10.1097/HCR.0000000000000179. PMCID: PMC5001913, 2016
- Busch, A. M., Fani Srour, J., Arrighi, J. A., Kahler, C. W., & Borrelli, B. Valued life activities, smoking cessation, and mood in post-acute coronary syndrome patients. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 22(5), 563-568. doi: 10.1007/s12529-014-9456-9. PMCID: PMC4456342, 2015
- Busch, A. M., Scott-Sheldon, L. A., Pierce, J., Chattillion, E., Cunningham, K., Buckley, M. L., Mazer, J. M., Blaney C., & Carey, M. P. Depressed mood predicts pulmonary rehabilitation completion among women, but not men. Respiratory Medicine. 108, 1007–1013. doi: 10.1016/j.rmed.2014.04.010. PMCID: PMC 4116192, 2014